Monday, June 01, 2009

Joy of a Little Man

I take pride and joy lending a hand to those who I consider significant to my life.
Some might not be as significant compared to others but it is still worthwhile.
Don't get me wrong though. I ain't a nobleman or good Samaritan that helps anyone and everyone for nothing.

Around 3 weeks ago, I went back to St.John's to help out with 2009 Lower Six admission. The only reason why I would spend hours in traffic just to reach St.John's early in the morning and getting less than minimum sleeping hours is to help my beloved teacher, Mrs. Cheng. There is so much to say about Mrs. Cheng that it could have be a few post dedicated just for her. We will leave that for next time.

In that one week of admission, a number of us came back to help. Of course, this is all done on voluntarily basis. Marcus Tan, who came back almost every year to talk to the new Lower Sixers came back again this year. His partner Kuan Ming and Venu could not make it this year because they have to work. This year, we have a additional helper, Jeremy who is just done with Form Six last year.

Jeremy and I would do the paperwork while Marcus wil be giving speech in front of the Lower Sixers. With that, Mrs. Cheng would have less work to do and she can teach according to her usual timetable and handle the intake.

While I couldn't be there for the whole one week, I'm still happy that I did play a role in helping out, not only Mrs.Cheng but also the new intake of Lower Sixers. Helping those "lost sheep" who transfer from other school, those from St.John's itself and those who were sent from their previous school ....
It might not seem much but it really made my day for that one week.

A few days ago, I went back to St.John's to celebrate teachers day. Our school choose to celebrate it on the day before school holiday. When I was there, I went back to look at the lower sixers and it seems to me that they are enjoying with their new friends in their new class. Looking at how they are enjoying themselves really makes all those hardship worthwhile.
I was also envious of them because they get to spend their next 1 1/2 years enjoying in St.John's and in Lower Six. I'm really missing my days in Lower Six and in St. John's. So I wish that I could join this bunch of Lower Sixers and have fun. So I wish....

Anyway, being remembered or not, significant or not, it doesn't matter.
I personally hope that this act of helping others will be succeeded by future juniors. To help but not wishing anything in return. If everyone could do such thing, the world would be a better place.

Being Pembantu Universiti(PU) for UPM is also another way of helping the juniors who just got enrolled into UPM. We might have to undergo a pointless camp with sucky food and getting little to no sleep during the orientation week but at the end of it, it was worth our dedication. PU camp and UPM orientation week also known as Minggu Perkasa Putra (MPP) is another part of a story that can be written in a few post! Maybe I'm going to blog on it when I feel like writing.

Until then, I will just stop rambling for now.

=)

Listening to
The Johannians Spirit Lives On

By
St. John's Institution

Album
St. John's Institution Anthems

2 comments:

Matt said...

Good to know that the tradition of seniors going back to help out in Lower 6 registration is still going strong! Am wondering if I'm the one who started the trend way back in 2000/2001? :-)

TARZAN said...

is there anyway I can contact mrs cheng who also tot me Add Maths. class 79. alfred .tq